Saturday, July 9, 2016

What's HOT at Sephora? New Releases from Smashbox, NARS, Josie Maran & Jimmy Choo

HOT summer picks from Sephora!
Hot, sticky humid summers are a reality for those of us living in the NYC/Metro Area. So this is the perfect time to head over to Sephora to get matched up with some lighter primers, foundations, cheek and lip color. Along the way, pick up some natural products which also do double duty for skincare and sun protection. Of course don't forget to pick out a new summer fragrance for yourself! First, let's see what's HOT and new from Josie Maran:





Josie Maran's 100% Pure Argan Oil
Josie Maran 100% Argan Oil 
Josie's 100% Argan Oil is a natural, time tested staple for both summer skin and hair care. A little goes a long way, (I'm talking about 3 drops at most) as it sinks in without leaving an oily residue. I use it before shampooing as it leaves my hair shiny and sleek, especially for flat ironing. Her Argan Oil is 100% pure with no fillers, silicone or dimethecone.


Sleek, flat ironed hair stays frizz free with a touch of Argan Oil

In fact the NEW Cool Tools by Hot Tools 1 1/4 Conditioning Vapor Flat Iron comes with a Argan Vapor Misting feature which infuses your hair with this oil while you style. Really amazing and it's has kept my hair extra sleek even on the hottest, most humid days. Hot Tools flat irons are available at Target or on Amazon.




Cool Tools Argan Mist Flat Iron

Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee in Poppy Paradise
Just in time for summer, this light and sheer cheek color can also be used on lips and collarbones. Water based, it contains pure coconut fruit juice and gives a realistic blush without looking cakey. Richly pigmented without being opaque, a little goes a long way so no worries about globs of makeup sliding off your face in the heat. Here it is swatched on my arm below. Feels like nothing on.


Josie Maran's Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee is sheer and light for summer.


NARS All Day Luminous, Weightless Foundation 

Summer Foundations and Tints A la NARS
I've somewhat fallen for NARS All Day Luminous, Weightless Foundation shown swatched below in Medium 4, Barcelona which I had matched to my skin by one of the makeup artists at Sephora. I also like the NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint but as the name implies, is a bit dry looking but could work for high humidity days. No shine going on with the Velvet Matte but keep in mind it is a tint, not a full coverage foundation like the All Day. The only gripe I have regarding the NARS foundations is the presence of dimethecone and/or silicones. It's like number one on the list on the All Day makeup! I'll be phasing these products out however for the time being I like the weightless feel of the All Day Foundation. I use only a few dots spread with a beauty blender. It's THAT pigmented. 



My NARS All Day Foundation

So What's New from Smashbox?
This summer I'm really liking the Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream and Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation. Like the NARS the Smashbox Studio Skin also contains lots of silicones/dimethecone. I know they include them to make the makeup go on easily but as I said before, I am moving away from these added ingredients. My airbrush foundations from KETT Cosmetics and Mineral Air do not contain them so I've become a little spoiled I guess.


The Studio Skin is at the top of my wrist, lightest in color.

The Camera Ready BB Cream is a 5 in 1 formulation which is especially good for very oily skin. Still, it hydrates and so it doesn't give your skin a dry look even when worn alone. It has enough coverage for me to hit the park for a run in and with a SPF of 35, it will give you reasonable sun protection. 




What I like about shopping at Sephora is that the makeup artists will match you with just the right foundation shade and give you a little sample to take home. That way you can play with it in various lighting conditions to see if it still looks amazing once you leave the store. Sometimes it won't but that's fine because you can try before you buy. Better to be matched by a professional than have a drawer full of drugstore foundations that don't compliment your skin tone. One of my favorite Seporas is located on Times Square in Midtown.



Smashbox BB Cream, the first swatch on the far left.

Lastly for an honorable mention is the Sugar Fresh Lip Treatment with a SPF of 15 I received as my Birthday Gift from Sephora. Very natural, no fuss lip conditioner and sunscreen. No, it's not sweet like sugar. I like the metal case and screw closure. Very portable, keep one of these in your bag this summer as the neutral shade will not interfere with your lip color.


Sugar Fresh Lip Treatment SPF 15

Summer Fragrances: Jimmy Choo's Exotic should be the summer Eau de Toilette you check out at the Sephora Perfume Section. However, this specific fragrance is a limited edition run so you may have to look beyond Sephora to perhaps Macy's. The bottle is a spray with a pink cap offering a generous 3.3 fl ozs.


Jimmy Choo Exotic Eau de Toilette


Here are the main fragrance notes in this limited edition perfume:


  • Top notes: blackcurrant sorbet and grapefruit
  • Middle notes: tiger orchid and passion flower
  • Base notes: patchouli



Exotic by Jimmy Choo


Here's the Sephora Haul!


Flat Iron c/o Hot Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment