Monday, February 16, 2015

Backstage Hairstyle Tips from Derek Lam's NYFW 2015 Show

Classic pony as seen in Derek Lam's NYFW 2015 Show at 545 W. 22nd Street. 

Designer Derek Lam had his show over the weekend on Sunday downtown at 545 West 22nd Street. Vera Wang, who I've met and spoke with in person, will be hosting her show in the same location on Tuesday February 17th.

I often get backstage access pass offers to see what products the hairstylists are using for the shows. When I did runway work, we would have a signature hairstyle for the show. The stylists have all sorts of tricks in their bag to help the models achieve that flawless hairstyle that enhances the designer's line. They want you to see the clothes so a neat, pulled back low ponytail is really one of the most polished, classic looks on the runway.


Here's how to pull this look off and what you will need:

Hair Accessoriescustom-made leather holders
You can find these classic pony tail holders at most drugstores. Made of Leather, they secure with a little dowel that threads though the two holes in the holder.

Hair Mousse
I'm not a fan of mousse in general but some styles require a bit of definition and structure. I've used Tresemme Extra Firm Control. It offers all day control with humidity resistance. A little goes a long way and I use the smallest amount possible, about a quarter size puff.

Hair Spray
Just like mousse, hair spray is also pretty low on my list of hair care products. I don't like crunchy textures or the build-up often associated with heavy use of these products.
So when I do use hairspray, I've used Nexxus Comb Thru Touchable Hold Finishing Mist. According to the label it: "Creates touchable control for gorgeous bounce and style that lasts." It really is light and shampoos out very easily. My stylist, Ray uses just a spritz of hair spray to keep my hair soft and touchable.


My stylist Ray - Christo Fifth Avenue

My Favorite Hair Styling Tools
I use only 100% boar bristle brushes for styling and smoothing my long hair. They resist static and cause the hair cuticle to lay flat to better reflect light thus increasing shine. Kent Brushes from England are some of the best. I also like my Madora Rake Combs which are very smooth and hand polished. They resist snagging and breaking your hair and are excellent for tangles.
Both are available at the Original George Michael of Madison Avenue Salon, 422 Madison Avenue New York City, NY 10017
Call (212) 752-1177 or visit online at Madora Long Hair Heaven


Madora Pocket and Vanity Rake Combs and Boar Bristle Styling Brush

Prior to this the only PHYTO product I've tried was their Phyto 9 Phytologie Daily Ultra Moisturizing Cream with Macadamia Oil. Ahead of its time, you now see a LOT of hair care products with this precious nut oil.
I've also personally tried these new products,namely the Mousse Intense Volume and Phytolaque Soie Hair Spray with Silk Proteins and like them very much. Just what you'd expect from a Parisian hair care line used by the professionals.


Derek Lam's FW2015 Show


Derek Lam NYFW “Get the Look” tips from Orlando Pita for PHYTO

INSPIRATION: 
Classic American New York woman. Sportswear with a New York edge. Super contemporary.

THE LOOK:
The look is a clean, graphic ponytail with a sharp center part.

GET THE LOOK:
·         Blow dry hair with PHYTO Phytovolume Actif or PHYTO Intense Volume Mousse, depending upon the hair type. 
·         Pull back hair into a pony tail at the nape of the neck.
·         Once the hair is pulled back, secure it with custom-made leather holders.
·         Finish the look by spraying with PHYTO Phytolaque Soie Hairspray.




Stylist Orlando Pita finishing this polished low pony look with hairspray.


Photos by Erin Baiano for PHYTO Hair Care

No comments:

Post a Comment