Friday, November 15, 2019

"Get Ready with Me" Red Carpet Edition


Getting ready for a Red Carpet appearance this holiday season? See how to seamlessly pull it all together!
Let's face it. The holidays are already here and with them, red carpet charity events, galas, Christmas parties, and balls. Add in appearances at the ballet, theatre, and holiday concerts.  Most of us will be invited to at least a few of these this season.  I regularly attend all of these types of events so have a system of getting ready that works really well and probably will for you too!

How you dress will depend on: The Venue, The Occasion, The Weather


A televised charity dinner at Lucien's Manor, Philadelphia area.

Skin in the Game: No matter what the occasion, your best look will always begin with healthy, clear skin. Start with an intensive, restorative skincare routine which includes: exfoliation, firming and deep hydration.
I enjoy having professional facials but I can get similar results at home with spa-quality and dermatologist-approved products. Even in the winter-time, you'll need to wear facial sunscreen every day especially if you are using Retin-A. Three of my top skincare items in this category are:


Borghese Fango Collection 

1. Differin Gel (Retin A)  0.1%

2. Borghese Fango Restorativo

3. Lancome Bienfait Multi-Vital Sunscreen Cream 30 SPF


Makeup Matters - Red Carpet Looks: After you've prepared the canvas, your makeup will go on more smoothly. Once your skin is moisturized, you can take an extra step by applying a makeup primer such as Garnier's 5 Sec Blur Instant Smoother. When you've done that, consider airbrushing your makeup. Two of my favorite systems are: Kett Cosmetics with Hydro Foundation and Mineral Air as shown below:


Kett Jett Compressor, Air Brush, Hydro Foundations and Mineral Air Compressor with Air Brush Foundations.
With the Kett Foundations which include shimmers and metallics, you can do your entire makeup application including contouring, highlighting and eye makeup. This will significantly cut down your time and give you something closer to professional makeup artist results.  
One of my favorite new highlighters is Chanel's Le Gel Paillete Transparent Shimmering Gel



It's very subtle but a little goes a long way for that extra evening sparkle. Add this to the tops of your cheekbones, down the center of your nose, across your forehead...really anywhere you want to accent.


NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer and YSL Touche Eclat
Next to getting the perfect matching foundation, finding the right concealer should be at the top of your list. The best formulation I have found is by NARS. Their Radiant Creamy Concealer has excellent coverage and staying power once set with translucent powder. Likewise, Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat Radiant Touch is the gold standard especially for under the eyes.



Clinique Red Red Red Longwear Lipstick
Red My Lips!  Nothing says elegant like a chic red lip for an evening out.  This is a bold power move so I would keep the rest of your makeup on the neutral side. You'll need to find the BEST red for your complexion but I would recommend going to the makeup counter or to a makeup artist for the right shade.  Mine is a classic true red by Clinique, Red Red Red 06 Long Last Lipstick.  I only apply it with a lipstick brush but it along with my highlighter, eyeliner and mascara are the only products I need to add after airbrushing my foundation. Really I don't even need a setting mist or translucent powder with the Kett Hydro or Mineral Air Foundations. The Mineral Air mini-compressor charges via a USB cable and is great for travel and destination events.



My favorite hair styling products in travel-size.
Haircare: To me, the most beautiful hair on the red carpet is clean, healthy and shiny no matter what the style. In fact, anything that amps the shine while conditioning is tops on my list. I have been using Dessange Paris California Blonde Illuminating System Elixir leave-in treatment. Non-greasy or stiff, it works on both natural and color-treated blondes.  If you want to define and style, try Sebastian's Whipped Creme Light Conditioning Style Whip. It leaves your hair super soft, supple and moisturized.  Finally, for a brushable hold, try Sebastian Re-Shaper Strong Hold Hairspray.


Arriving on the red carpet!
You have arrived! Of course, your outfit choice will depend on the venue and weather. However, you always want to be elegant and understated.  I try to make sure all of my "hardware" is matching such as in this photo where I am wearing diamond, white gold and silver accouterments. I also like to match my handbag color to my shoes and mix the textures. Here I have a vintage black snakeskin leather clutch with Etienne Aigner leather pointed toed shoes with kitten heels.  My top is a ruffled v-neck blouse by Ann Taylor and my shimmered hand-beaded skirt is by The Gap. I danced all night at this charity event! How?  Well, I was comfortable and appropriately dressed for the occasion which allowed me to focus on other things such as enjoying myself and the company of other attendees.
So you can be red carpet ready too if you follow these insider tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment